Today's Date:
Board Meetings
          Board Members
          Licensee Lookup
          Licensure with the Board
          Applications and Forms
          Renew Your License
          Change Your Address
          Application status
          Print copy of your license
          Laws and Policies
          Publications / News
          FOIA Requests
          Related Links
Complaints / Board Orders
          File a Complaint
          Board Orders
          What can I expect when a complaint
          is filed against me?
Contact Us
        Board Phone:(803) 896-5571
        Administrator:Molly Price
        Board Staff:Janene Medlin
        Advice Counsel:   Hardwick Stuart   **
        Directions:110 Centerview Dr, Columbia SC

**The Office of Advice Counsel is responsible for
providing legal advice to all Boards, Commissions
and Panels. These attorneys do not provide legal
advice to parties outside LLR.

South Carolina Liquefied Petroleum Gas Board


What do I need to do in order to be able to work with Liquefied Petroleum Gas in South Carolina?

There are several steps that must be followed in order to work with LP Gas in South Carolina.

  • Licensure and permit applications must be completed and returned to our office with the appropriate fees and all required attachments.
  • All appropriate examinations must be passed.
  • An inspection must be requested and completed for dealers, resellers, utility plants and cylinder exchange (only if a storage facility for cylinders).

    Once equipment is installed, the supplier must make a request for an inspection of the equipment/installation by emailing or calling (803) 896-5571. An inspection will be conducted by a Deputy State Fire Marshal on behalf of the Board. Once equipment/installation has passed inspection, all appropriate fees have been paid, and employees have passed the appropriate examinations, the company license and permit cards will be issued.

As a Liquefied Petroleum Gas dealer, how do I obtain a final inspection of a new site location?

Once the supplier of propane has ensured that the installation of equipment is compliant with appropriate codes and standards, the dealer (supplier) must request for an inspection of the equipment/installation by emailing or calling (803) 896-5571.

What examinations are offered for LP Gas?

Currently, the Board administers two examinations:

  • Dealers/Installers exam consists of 100 multiple choice questions. A score of 70 is a passing grade.
  • Reseller/Driver exam consists of 52 multiple choice questions. A score of 70 is a passing grade.

How do I register for an examination?

Preferred examination dates are requested as part of the initial employee application. However, if you still need to register, please email (prior to examination date) and provide the following:

  • Name
  • Preferred examination date
  • Requested examination
  • Company name
  • Contact information
  • Credit Card Authorization Form for $25 (if applicable)

How often are exams administered? Are the exams open book? Where are the exams given?

Examinations are typically administered the first and third Friday of each the month (excluding state holidays) at the Department of Labor, Licensing and Regulation, 110 Centerview Drive, Columbia, SC 29211. All exams are open book. The following are the recommended study materials and may be brought to the exam: NFPA 54, 2008 Edition, NFPA 58, 2008 Edition, NFPA 59, 2009 Edition, SC LP Gas Regulations Article 5, and LP Gas State Statue 40-82-70. Testing begins promptly at 10 a.m. and ends at noon. Participants must be on time (we recommend arriving 15 minutes early) and bring state issued photo identification. In addition, cell phones and other electronic media are not allowed at the test site.

What do I need to study for the Reseller/Driver exam? Can I share my material with another employee testing?

It is recommended that test participants be familiar with NFPA 58, 2008 edition.  Since all exams are open book, feel free to bring the NFPA 58 and the S.C. LP Gas State Statue 40-82-70 ¬†and LP Gas Regulations Subarticle 5. Since the Board does not sell NFPA booklets, we recommend asking your propane supplier for study materials. No sharing of books is allowed during the examinations.

What do I need to study for the Dealer/Installer examination? Can I share my materials with another employee during the examination?

No sharing of books is allowed. For the Dealer/Installer exam, you need to study and are allowed to bring the following:

How can I purchase the NFPA 58, 2008 edition?

The NFPA website has the NFPA 58, 2008 edition available to purchase. 

How long do I have to wait for my exam results?

Exam results will be emailed and mailed to the address on file. Prior to the exam, ensure that your address is updated with the Board. Please allow up to two weeks for exam results.

How often can I take the exam?

Examinations are typically administered the first and third Friday of each the month (excluding state holidays) at the Department of Labor, Licensing, and Regulations, 110 Centerview Drive, Columbia, SC 29211. If you fail the exam, you must wait until the next available test day. If the second attempt does not result in a passing grade (70 percent), participants must wait 30 days before re-taking the exam.

How long are the licenses and permit cards valid?

Board licenses and permits are valid for a two year period. All licenses and permits expire every two years on June 30, regardless of the date issued (even years). All licenses and permits must be kept active. Those operating under inactive license and permits will may be subject to disciplinary action by the Board. LP Gas employees who allow their licenses to lapse must retake and pass the appropriate examination to reobtain a permit.

What are the fees?

The Board accepts credit cards (Visa/MasterCard only), checks and money orders. Checks and money orders must be made payable to the SC Board of LP Gas.


Is there an age requirement for working with propane in South Carolina?

Yes, employees must be at least 18 years old.

Does everyone who pumps propane have to be certified and hold a permit card?

No, employees may work under a permitted employee's certification. However, the permitted employee is responsible for the training of others, and is the responsible party for that location. This training must be documented in writing in each employees training file.

Does South Carolina have reciprocity with other states?

Reciprocity is not offered. In order to work with L.P Gas in South Carolina, you must pass the required examination.

Synergy Business Park; Kingstree Building
110 Centerview Dr.
Columbia, S.C. 29210
(803) 896-4300 | Office Hours: 8:30 a.m.- 5:00 p.m.
Privacy | Disclaimer | Other Languages | Report State Agency Fraud (Office of the Inspector General)